Wednesday 19 September 2012


Hebsy Blog for Sept. 19/2012

As a sports fan, I always fantasized about becoming a famous athlete.  In this case, I’ll settle for having my own column…..sorry, I mean “blog”.  I will update this blog frequently, as I have a lot of thoughts on a lot of things and I need a creative outlet, so here goes.

When I was 8 years old, my favorite player was Denis Menke. (Only one “n” in his first name, very French)  He was an average major league baseball player.  I was an average house league softball player.  I could relate to his mediocrity.  When he injured his knee, I walked around with a limp for two weeks.  Seriously.  I was eight.
Years later, when I was starting in radio, I got to meet Menke, who was coaching for the Toronto Bluejays, in the clubhouse after the game.   When I told him he was my hero growing up, he gave me the oddest look, as if this were a practical joke. “Why me?”  he asked.  “Because you were just like me--average”  With that, he nodded, cleared his throat, stripped naked right in front of me, and, without saying another word, headed for the showers. 

I had other sports heroes.   Alan Stanley of the Maple Leafs, a tall, plodding defensive defenseman. Number 26.  I played defense in house league, and imagined myself poke checking the opposing forward the way Stanley did.  Rarely did it happen.  In football, my team was the Cleveland Browns and Paul Warfield, an elegant split end, number 42, was a big-play receiver.  He later went on to play for the Miami Dolphins and won a couple of Super Bowls. I always wanted to make a leaping catch for a touchdown the way he did.    I’m still hoping it will happen.

Basketball was tougher.  I liked Wilt Chamberlain (way before I ever heard about his sexual conquests) but my favorite was a bench warmer named John Tresvant (Lakers, Baltimore Bullets and many more) who was a terrible shooter, decent defender and pretty good rebounder.  I aspired to play like John Tresvant.

As for other sports, I liked Arnold Palmer, Rod Laver, Willie Shoemaker, Willie Mays, Bobby Hull (because I met him in an elevator as a kid, and he tousled my hair)  And Muhammad Ali.   I thought he was very cool.

Because of this “hero worship” (perfectly healthy of course) I wanted to be involved in sports.   Since I couldn’t PLAY the game, I was hoping to make a living following the game. 

This is why creating a sports fantasy for you will keep me active and off the streets.     It also allows me to imagine the scenario happening right in front of me.   Sort of a witness to sports history.  When you present that moment as a gift to your loved one (or arch-rival) you will have re-defined the term “It’s the thought that counts”.

I feel sorry for all my friends who derive their living from the NHL.   Not the players, but the broadcasters, ushers, concessionaires, security guards, kitchen staff, wait staff, ticket takers, parking lot attendants, restaurant and bar owners and everyone else who depends on NHL games.  Sure, they’re pissed off, but unlike the fans, they are taking a deeper hit in the pocketbook.  And it’s money they’ll never recover.  One friend of mine depends on NHL games for her Christmas money.   Imagine explaining that one.  “Sorry Sweetie, there’s nothing in your stocking this year because Mr. Bettman and Mr. Fehr won’t play nice.”

On my show, “Sportsline”, myself and co-host Bubba ONeil refuse to talk about the lockout.  We will not give out any information until they sign an agreement.  We don’t care how much progress has been made.  We don’t care about the latest video on You Tube that the players have posted either.  In fact, I can’t look at another hockey player in flip flops, backwards baseball cap and shorts.  They look like they just came back from summer camp.  You’d never see the NBA players dressed like that if they were being locked out.


No comments:

Post a Comment