Wednesday 21 November 2012

I DIDN'T CHOOSE RADIO, IT CHOSE ME.

Thanks to those of you who pointed out my shortcomings and offered a solution.  I have found the lost blogs, and they are re-posted.  (Well, most of them anyway)

When we last got together, I was telling you about my one and only deejay job in radio as a failed country music jock.  I was attending Conestoga College in Kitchener at the time of this misfortune, although "attending" might be a pretty misleading word.  "Enrolled" is more like it.  They offered a course in Radio and TV Broadcasting, which sounded like fun.  You had to have a 65 average, but if you gave a good interview, they'd probably let you in the course.  Since I had already been refused outright by Carleton University's Journalism program, and basically been told to take a walk by Humber College's 3 year Radio course, I had little choice.   Yes, that's right.  Humber College TURNED ME DOWN.  They didn't think I had what it took to be a radio broadcaster.  That was embarrassing, and I've never forgiven the school, even though my son currently attends the damn place.  Luckily,  I gave a charming interview, and got in to Conestoga.    Despite offering courses in in Set Decoration and Radio Theory, neither of which I had any interest in, Conestoga was a cool place.   I learned all about water pipes, punk music, neo-nazism and farm girls, all the while dreaming of being a radio announcer.   All I really wanted to do was talk on the radio.  TV?    Never thought I had a chance. I was tall, ugly, with thick coke-bottle glasses, a geeky 19 year old who plodded through 13 years of elementary and secondary school AND two years of kindergarten AND 3 years of Hebrew school.  I enjoyed talking.  I knew a lot about sports and music.  This was the life for me.

On "Sportsline" we maintain a "No Lockout Talk" policy which has been going on for over two months now.  It's amazing how little you care about something that isn't part of a daily discussion.  We don't talk hockey, ergo we don't think about it or care about it.  Quite frankly, there's already plenty to talk about just in the football world.  Between the Vanier Cup, the Grey Cup, the BCS and the NFL, there's barely enough room for hockey.  Out of sight, out of mind.

The Vancouver Canucks average ticket price is $266.70 this year.  The Maple Leafs is $227.89 and the Winnipeg Jets average ticket price is $227.00.   That's for one ticket.  And now you know why 61% of adult Canadians haven't seen an NHL game in the last 5 years.  They can't afford it.  Only corporations can.  Well, not this year they can't.   Looks like the season is a goner.  The two sides are so far apart it isn't even funny.   Tell you what.  If you can't get a ten year agreement done, don't bother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment