Monday 13 May 2013

ARE THE MAPLE LEAFS MAKING YOU FAT?

The more playoff games the Leafs win, the more my waistline expands.  So, what do I do now?  Six games into the first round, including back to back Leaf wins on Friday and Sunday, and my weight is up to 205 pounds.   The last time I was this heavy was 9 years ago, the spring of 2004.  Not coincidentally, that was also the last time the Leafs were in the playoffs.  They won a 7 game series over Ottawa, during which I gained a couple of pounds (chicken wings and beer as I recall).   Then, they went six more games before falling to Philly in the second round, and I ended up at 207 pounds (Philly Cheese steaks and tequila).  Had they gone on to the Stanley Cup finals that year, I'm sure I would've ended up on "The Biggest Loser".  Let's face it, spending three hours in front of the TV watching playoff hockey (or any sporting event for that matter) means popcorn, pistachios, chips, veggies and dip and beer.   It also means three hours without any exercise at all, unless you consider jumping up and clenching your fist every so often to be a "cardio workout".
     Normally, I weigh myself once a week, but with a Maple Leaf game on every other night, and in this case, on back to back nights, I have to weigh myself daily.  I know the beer companies and the snack food companies and the pizza conglomerates are airing an onslaught of ads designed to make the hungry and thirsty Leafs fan load up on all the high-calorie foods that are OK to eat once in a while, but not every other night.  Seriously.  On Thursday, I was 201 pounds and working my butt off on the treadmill every day just to maintain.   Then there was Friday's Leafs game, a barn burner of a tilt that likely saw me inhale 1500 to 2000 calories, even with  lo-cal salt free pistachios and light beer.    The next day, Saturday, I didn't have time for a workout, and managed the spend a couple of hours watching the Jays (another 1000 calories worth of red licorice, sweet and salty popcorn and sunflower seeds).   Yesterday, even though I went for a run, I watched a bit of the Jays-Red Sox (fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, soda water) and then at night, the Leafs-Bruins ( Pizza, chocolate covered pretzels, Lays, Skittles)    And that's how I got to 205 pounds.    And now I'm worried/thrilled that the Leafs will get into the next round.  If they lose tonight, I can go back to my normal eating habits and likely drop a few pounds.   But if they beat Boston, it's at least two more weeks of undisciplined, yet necessary eating and drinking.  
     So, which do I choose?   I choose to root for the Maple Leafs and the hell with my waistline.   Mind you, the last time I said that, it took  9 years for them to get back to the playoffs.   Those were known as the "lean" years.  In more ways than one.
    

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya, Mark. Being a 'big time, television star' like you, I imagine you like to keep yourself in fighting shape, but slobs like me (a 'svelte', koff, 5'8", 205 lbs.) are too long in the tooth, and eternally married to keep ourselves in shape. While I'd love to blame the Leafs, I'm afraid I'm going to have to admit...it's my wife's fault!

    ReplyDelete